Monday, January 16, 2012

I Peter 1:13--Resting Our Hope

I Peter 1:13--"Rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."  Men are not going to be saved by grace alone.  Indeed, if grace alone were sufficient, all men would be saved, for "the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).  Faith is required--"without faith it is impossible to please Him" (Heb. 11:6).  But faith alone is insufficient, too, for "even the demons believe" (James 2:19).  No, there is something man must do to please God, and that is called "obedience."  Jesus is "the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him" (Heb. 5:9).  Grace is God's part; faith and obedience are man's.

Yet, when I stand before God in judgment, I will full well know that my obedience has been far short of His glory (Rom. 3:23).  And thus, ultimately, my only hope for eternal salvation is God's mercy.  There will be no boasting on the Day of Judgment.  Just eternal thanksgiving for something we have striven for, earnestly desired, served for...but not earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment